Skip over navigation

Course Offerings

Course Evaluation Results

Course Details

Fall 2012-2013
* EEB 321   No Pass/D/Fail

Ecology: Species interactions, biodiversity, and society

Robert M. Pringle

How do wild organisms interact with each other, their physical environments, and human societies? Lectures will examine a series of fundamental topics in ecology--herbivory, predation, competition, mutualism, species invasions, biogeographic patterns, extinction, climate change, and conservation, among others--through the lens of case studies drawn from all over the world. Readings will provide background information necessary to contextualize these case studies and clarify the linkages between them. Precepts and fieldwork will explore the process of translating observations and data into an understanding of how the natural world works.

Sample reading list:
Mittelbach, Gary G., Community Ecology
See instructor for complete list

Reading/Writing assignments:
Weekly reading will be assigned both as background for the lectures and as preparation for the precepts. The precepts will require students to collect and analyze ecological data and submit written reports; most of this work will be done in small groups. Two in-class midterms and a take-home final will collectively account for 60% of the grade; the remaining 40% will be based on work from the precepts.

Mid Term Exam - 40%
Take Home Final Exam - 20%
Lab Reports - 20%
Other (See Instructor) - 20%

Prerequisites and Restrictions:
EEB 211 or equivalent. Although the course is not heavily mathematical, it is quantitative; students should be prepared to learn and apply basic principles of probability and statistics..

Other information:
The details of the course may change, but the spirit and general content are as described.

Schedule/Classroom assignment:

Class numberSectionTimeDaysRoomEnrollmentStatus
20640 L01 11:00:00 am - 12:20:00 pm T Th   Schultz Laboratory   107   Enrolled:52 Limit:60
23952 B01 01:30:00 pm - 04:20:00 pm Th   Lewis Library   120   Enrolled:3 Limit:20
20641 B02 01:30:00 pm - 04:20:00 pm Th   Guyot Hall   100   Enrolled:27 Limit:29
20642 B03 01:30:00 pm - 04:20:00 pm F   Guyot Hall   100   Enrolled:22 Limit:29
23953 B04 01:30:00 pm - 04:20:00 pm F   Lewis Library   121   Enrolled:0 Limit:20